Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I understand. I'm responsible now too. Just look at my groceries

Every now and then, i.e. usually on my days off when I have the time to think about it, I go through stages of being a super domestic responsible adult. Today was one of those days and I expressed it by washing my sheets, cleaning the kitchen and making cornbread, which turned out AMAZING and not dry at all...recipe below. I also decided to start a recipe book for my new "be a functioning adult by cooking more often" life goal. It's hand-written because despite enjoying having a blog I do like things to be on actual paper most of the time (Kindles...ugh).
Annnnnd the cherry on top of my mature and productive day: I got to use my stylish kitchen wear Matryoshka measuring cups given to me by two of my very favorite people from college and life in general, Heather and Katie, who are rumored to possibly make an appearance in Brooklyn this summer :)

The cornbread is actually from a Thanksgiving green apple stuffing recipe that I may or may not continue making tomorrow. It's been forever since I bookmarked it, but I'm pretty sure it came from the wonderful little blog 3191 miles apart, which also has a beautiful quarterly magazine I've been meaning to subscribe to.

Gluten-Free Apple-Pecan Cornbread Stuffing

Instead of toasting the cornbread, you can spread out the pieces on a baking sheet and let them sit on your counter top overnight, uncovered, to dry out.
Ingredients
Double Corn Cornbread:
1 cup rice milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup cornmeal, preferably medium grind
1 cup store-bought gluten-free flour blend
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup corn kernels (from about 1 ear of corn)
------------------------------------------------------------
Stuffing:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
Salt
Pepper
4 cups Double Corn Cornbread (see recipe below), toasted and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
2 teaspoons dried herb blend, such as McCormick Italian Seasoning
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preparation
1. Prepare the cornbread. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 4 1/2-inch by 8 1/2-inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, stir together the milk and vinegar. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the milk mixture, eggs and oil until just blended; fold in the corn kernels. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
2. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
3. Prepare the stuffing. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease an 8-inch square pan with olive oil. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, about five minutes; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.
4. In a large bowl, toss together the onion mixture, cornbread, apple and herb blend. Transfer to the prepared pan. Scatter the pecans on top and cover with foil; bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil; bake until crispy and golden, about 20 minutes more.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment