Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week off

I had a quiet picture taking past week due to needing a new memory card...I walk by a Best Buy almost every day and for some reason taking 10 minutes and running in was very difficult. Not too much happened though. I made some delicious sweet potato biscuits that are even better when made into a veggie sausage and cheese sandwich. I discovered that my apartment has a slight mouse problem (I'm only ok admitting this because I've been assured by numerous people that it is a building problem and not actually me) and learned the best way to capture them is to just take the trash bag out of the can, so when they climb in they get stuck and then barricading their entrance, i.e. the closet with an open washer attachment hole and the trash can...surprise, surprise. Kenny suggested drowning them once caught, but they looked so pathetic huddled together and staring up at me that I just carried the whole can outside and dumped them in the trash out there. It was a successful battle against NYC wilderness, minus not having a tucked away place for the trash can anymore. I went on a cleaning supply buying binge, due to the end of the mouse incident. I hung out with the same people as always and had Mexican food and huge frozen margaritas outside on the prettiest almost spring night at Caliente Cab with my new friend/co-worker Jackie. I read a terrifying article from Refinery29. Annnd in the middle of writing all this found out that my college roommate/friend got in to vet school and that one of my very best friends is coming to visit in early summer (yay tax returns)! Not a bad low-key week at all. Also, I had a pleasant walk around downtown Brooklyn on my way from Girls Inc. to Target and remembered that I haven't been to BAM since I saw Edward Scissorhands the ballet when I was visiting back in 2007. Hopefully my upcoming guest will want to catch a movie or a show there!


For those wondering: 
Sweet Potato Biscuits 


1 pound sweet potatoes or yam (1 large one is usually sufficient)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled), cut into small pieces
1/4 cup milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Prick the sweet potato and bake until soft (about 1 hour...you can also do this more quickly in a microwave). Once the sweet potato has cooled, scoop the flesh from the skin and pass through a food mill, ricer, or sieve. You should have about 1 3/4 cups puree.


Stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter (or use your fingers) until it resembles a coarse meal. Mix milk with sweet potato puree and add it to the other ingredients. Mix dough, just to incorporate (I use my hands). If the dough is really sticky, add a touch more flour. Turn dough out into floured surface and knead a few times. Pat out to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter or glass. We make ours small, about 2 inches in diameter. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Place in preheated oven and cook until risen and slightly brown, about 12 minutes (longer for larger biscuits). Serve warm. 


Yield: about 20 small-size biscuits


*I have absolutely no clue where I got this recipe from. Most likely my favorite food blog Framed Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment